Need a fun and easy appetizer for Game Day? Roll up a batch of spinach and feta spirals.
Spinach and feta naturally makes me think of spanikopita and my seasoning choices attempt to recreate the way our favorite Greek restaurant prepares theirs. I used a blend of dried basil, oregano, mint and parsley and a squeeze of lemon.
I used a refrigerated dough that can be used for croissants and was able to get 16 slices from the roll. You may have a different number depending on the brand you purchase.
- 10 ounce package frozen spinach
- ½ cup diced onion (1 medium)
- olive oil for sauteing
- pinch red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 2 ounces crumbled Feta cheese
- 1 refrigerated flaky/croissant dough
- melted butter (optional)
- Cook the spinach according to the package directions, drain and squeeze dry.
- Saute the onions in a little olive oil seasoned with a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- When the onions have softened stir in the oregano, basil, mint and parsley (adjust the amounts to suit your taste). Squeeze some lemon juice in the pan, too. Add the spinach and stir to mix the onions.
- Cut the cream cheese into small pieces and add to the pan. Let the heat melt the cheese and stir into the mixture. Remove from the heat.
- Heat the oven to 350°F and prepare a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Unroll the dough and spread the spinach mixture over top. Crumble the feta cheese evenly.
- Roll up the dough starting with the long side. Pinch the seam to seal it.
- Cut the roll into slices about an inch thick. Arrange on a baking sheet and brush with melted butter or a light spritz of cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 - 30 minutes as directed on the package. They should brown nicely.
This is a fun recipe to experiment with. I remember my mother making a cheeseburger version of this and I love the ham and cheese variation that has been making the rounds of Facebook. Many of the refrigerated doughs come with two units you can make the spinach and feta spirals with one and ad lib the other. Have fun!