Despite my best efforts I’ll sometimes build up a fruit stockpile. You know what I mean. You’ll buy a couple apples and only eat one. Then you’ll buy three bananas intending to use them in smoothies and only make one. The next thing you know you have a collection and here comes your husband with a bag full of gorgeous strawberries! One way to bring your stockpile back under control is to make a minted fruit salad. It’s a blend of seasonal fruits topped with a spice blend and mixed with fresh chopped mint and lemon juice.
I’ve seen it called fruit chaat on Indian and Asian websites and it’s delicious. There’s the sweet from the fruit countered by the mint and the spice blend has a hint of heat from cayenne and black pepper. I used a blend with garam masala powder, but you’re not limited to that. There’s a brand of ground peppers and lime that’s excellent on fruit (affiliate link). Or you could forgo the hot stuff all together and mix the fruit with nuts and chopped herbs. Besides thyme, cilantro and parsley also go well with fruit.
This was my set up for the video below…you’ll only have one bowl to clean!
Personally, I love the addition of the cucumber but feel free to leave it out if you don’t like it. Also, I didn’t add any sugar but you’re free to add your favorite sweetener if you’d like. Honey is nice if you don’t want to use regular sugar. There’s no hard and fast rule! In fact…the only requirement is to use lemon juice to prevent the fruit from browning.
For planning purposes figure on a cup and a half of fruit per serving, more of less. This particular salad was enough for Rick and I to have as a side for dinner. There was enough left over to mix into a bowl of yogurt the next day.
- 1 medium apple, cored and chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and chopped (deseed if necessary)
- 1 banana, peeled and sliced
- about a cup of chopped strawberries
- 1 medium orange, peeled and chopped
- any other fruit you'd like to add
- 2 tablespoons mixed seeds (I used a commercial mix with chia, poppy, sesame and sunflower seeds)
- chopped fresh mint
- juice from a large lemon
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon cayenne powder
- a couple grinds black pepper
- a pinch of salt
- Mix the spices together and set aside.
- Mix the fruit in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the spice mix.
- Add the lemon juice, chopped mint and seeds.
- Stir to mix.
You can mix and match the fruit and the seasoning depending on the time of year. What are your favorite combinations?
Here’s the video I made for the fruit salad…a work in progress hahaha.