When we visit a Chinese buffet, I always go for the green beans in the savory brown stir fry sauce. They’re fresh, spicy and crunchy all at the same time. Store bought sauces can be loaded with sodium and other unsavory ingredients. Here’s how to make sesame green beans with your own stir fry sauce. It’s sure to be a Meatless Mondays hit.
If you can find them go with fresh, whole green beans. Trim the stems and cut off any bad spots, then give them a rinse. Let them drain while you make the sauce. Pat them dry with a paper towel before adding them to the hot oil. Whole frozen green beans can be a good choice but they need to be thawed, picked over and patted dry.
This is a good, all around stir fry sauce recipe compiled from many on the web then tweaked and perfected to suit us. You should end up with about a cup and a half of sauce. You won’t need all of it for this recipe so put the leftovers in a jar and store them in the fridge. It will keep for at least a month, if it doesn’t get used first.
- 1 pound green beans, washed and trimmed
- vegetable oil for frying
- pinch red pepper flake
- sesame seeds, toasted if desired
- ½ cup soy sauce (we used tamari)
- ½ cup hoisin sauce (we used a low-sodium brand)
- ½ cup vegetable or chicken broth
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Mix the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring frequently.
- Reduce the heat and continue to stir while the sauce reduces and thickens.
- The sauce is ready when it coats the spoon, but still runs freely.
- Thinly cover the bottom of a large skillet or stir fry pan with oil. Add a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Heat over high heat until very hot, then add the green beans. There will be a lot of hissing and popping, but keep moving the string beans around.
- Continue to cook for several minutes until the string beans are crisp tender.
- Stir in a quarter cup or more of the stir fry sauce and a couple tablespoons of sesame seeds. Toss to coat.
Now that you know the basics of how to make sesame string beans and your own stir fry sauce, you’ll be able to make them whenever you want. Try them with a veggie homemade egg roll for a more substantial meal.
Do you make your own stir fries? What’s your favorite?