A fideo is a type of Spanish pasta commonly used in soups. It comes in different thicknesses, like spaghetti. It can be cooked in broth in a similar fashion to rice. This makes fideos with shrimp and peas a one dish meal, perfect for a busy weeknight.
There’s no need to fuss with this dish made from pantry and freezer staples. You could, of course, purchase fresh shrimp, but I prefer the convenience of peeled and deveined frozen shrimp.
You may be able to find fideos in your grocery store, but fear not if they’re not available. Use fine spaghetti or angel hair pasta broken into short pieces. Depending on your choice you may need to use more liquid than called for in the recipe. Rick and I have made a scaled down version of fideos a couple times, and while you can use seafood stock as suggested in this recipe from Good Housekeeping, we prefer chicken stock plus a bottle of clam juice.
- 3 cups stock (chicken or seafood), plus more as needed
- 1 bottle clam juice (or equivalent in stock)
- 1 - 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 12 ounces fideos
- 1 roasted red pepper, chopped (about a ¼ cup)
- 1 medium onion, cut into petals
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined, thawed if frozen
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 3 - 4 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch red pepper flake
- salt, pepper and smoky paprika to taste
- Dissolve the tomato paste into the broth and warm in a saucepan.
- In a large skillet or dutch oven, heat the olive oil and red pepper flakes, then saute the onions until soft and starting to change color.
- Add the fideos and garlic, then stir to coat with oil.
- Season with salt, pepper and smoky paprika.
- Stir in the broth, red peppers and peas. Bring the liquid to a gentle simmer and cook uncovered until the fideos are almost ready. Add more broth or water if needed to prevent the noodles from getting dry.
- Arrange the uncooked shrimp on top of the noodles and cover with a lid. Allow to warm through (add the shrimp earlier if uncooked).
- When the shrimp are ready, stir to combine, taste and adjust seasoning. Garnish with parsley before serving.
Once you learn the technique, you can easily make a variety of fideo dishes, much like you can with risotto or other types of pastas. If using chicken or pork, cook them separately and add them back at the end. If using fish or tofu, add them near the end as we did for the shrimp in this recipe.